Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Asking.


So the first book on my reading this summer for RUF is this book called Asking by Jerry Panas. And it was AMAZING! If anyone ever finds themselves raising money for either a short-term mission trip or starting a whole new ministry or even doing a small part of a HUGE ministry like RUF, they should have the requirement of reading this encouraging book. Panas outlines not the methodology or tricks to fundraising but the real purpose and attitude we are to have. I was most encouraged by a few tidbits that I will share. One this "fundraising" that I and 41 other interns are currently doing is not "begging". I did have someone tell me I was too good to beg for money. And to them I now know the correct response. I am not to good to beg for money, BUT begging is not what I am doing. I am offering an opportunity to anyone and everyone to be apart of a mnistry that has a purpose for Christ, a goal for Christ, and will change and save real lives. To think about it in this way is extremely encouraging. This is an opportunity for us all to embrace Christ and the gifts he has given us to reach college students with the gospel for the gospel. Secondly there is no failure in this process. Christ does not need me. But he has called me in this moment to persue this ministry. If someone says "No" or "Yes" they are under the sovereignty of God. He says, "In his career Michael Jordon said he missed nearly 10,000 shots, lost over 3,000 games, and missed making the decisive shot dozens of times."-pg.13 He failed many times but that was also apart of his success. How encouraging! You're never a loser until you quit trying and you don't have to be great to start BUT you have to start to be GREAT!!!! I could say so much more about this book and how I completely understand why they require us to read it. For now I want to leave my fellow interns with this qoute,
"Get ready for the great adventure. Because of you and the funds you raise, you'll be directly reponsible, through your organization, for changing lives. You're making it happen."-pg.11

No comments: